Wednesday, October 2, 2013

QUESTION TAGS: LISTENING + SPEAKING

Whenever I had to teach question tags I always found it a little bit boring for the students, and they never understood the purpose of using them. They were quite happy saying: "Your father is a pilot, no?" You English teachers should be familiar with this, shouldn't you?

Anyway, while I was listening to the radio I encountered this song by The Beautiful South: A Little Time, and I have created an activity based on this song to practise question tags. You may download the activity in pdf below.

This is an activity for B1 - B2 students and you should allow at least 45 minutes to complete it.

While listening to the song, students will have to complete the lyrics with question tags, but they will also learn new phrasal verbs and identify words with similar pronunciation.

The second part of this activity tries to make them practise question tags in a conversation. Students are divided in groups of three and they have a set of yes/no questions to ask their partner.

Once they have asked the questions, they must make an afirmative or negative sentence, depending on the previous answer, ending with a question tag.

Download: PDF document 

And now an exercise for all of you. Complete these five sentences using question tags: 

1. You have downloaded the PDF document,    haven't you

2. It seems like a fun activity,    doesn't it

3. It isn't appropriate for A1 students,    is it

4. You are going to use it in class,   aren't you

5. Your students liked this activity,    didn't they?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to use it in a two-student class tomorrow. I know they'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I Am Rustam Sayal I Like This Comment

    B1 Test Centre London Intech Centre is an established training centre in London provides Training, Exams, Career Services and IT Solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thaks a lot. It seems very useful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lesson. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot. I was desperate since I am teaching an adult group that i don't know (replacing a teacher) and I wanted to do something more motivating than the book. You have saved my evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! Planning to test this activity out in class today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a lifesaver, bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Share your ideas with us.